Friday, 14 July 2017

Quantum Suicide – Author's Note

Author's note for the short Worm fanfiction Double Helix, written for the /r/rational biweekly challenge.

This wasn't originally going to be fanfiction but Coil fit the prompt so perfectly that I was inspired to tweak him only a little bit. I can't claim to have thought of all this myself; please watch Doctor Who S10E6 "Extremis" (Wikipedia link for those who just want the spoilers). San Lorenzo is the setting of the Kurt Vonnegut novel Cat's Cradle (more spoilers).

Coil's kind of interesting because he wants to be a benevolent dictator, but at the same time he's also a psychopath with no morals. I'm not sure whether he notices this because he certainly doesn't feel any cognitive dissonance over it. He sees himself as a man who has a job, and has friends, and he's actually trying to help the Travelers, but at the same time he's a gangster who takes over a city and likes torturing people.

He only ever does that in other timelines so nobody ever finds out, but I wonder if that adds any real moral ambiguity? Probably not.

Bullseye seemed like a good name for a cape who could see cardiovascular systems through walls.

I thought a lot about the ending, and while part of it is from Worm itself, I was also inspired by Steven Moffat's comment on Professor Moriarty from BBC's Sherlock.
"We knew what we wanted to do with Moriarty from the very beginning. Moriarty is usually a rather dull, rather posh villain so we thought someone who was genuinely properly frightening. Someone who's an absolute psycho," Moffat said.
So they made him a raging homosexual who fucks with Holmes for no reason and then offs himself? I'm kind of offended, not because I'm gay but because the writers thought that passed for engaging characterization (It's not even original! James Bond did it better). An 'absolute psycho' is one who will restrain himself in public, but when he can get away with it he becomes a monster.

(Moffat is the writer for both of those shows. I am aware of the irony.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quantum Suicide – Author's Note

Author's note for the short Worm fanfiction Double Helix , written for the /r/rational biweekly challenge . This wasn't originally...